One year after Cielo’s groundbreaking, construction is going strongOctober 23, 2023
This month marked one year since we broke ground on one of our most prolific communities to date, Cielo, a statement of refined architectural modernism, and an uncommon luxury on Bloor Street West. Since then, our Construction Team has been hard at work, completing the early steps that will soon bring Cielo to life.
Here are the latest construction updates:
- Shoring for the residential parking and drilling of structural caissons is now complete. In total, 234 caissons and 17 structural caissons- large, reinforced concrete, watertight substructures that provide a stable foundation for structures built on top - were installed around the perimeter of the residential parking levels.
- Bulk excavation for the parking levels, south of the TTC tunnels, started on October 16th, 2023.
- Excavation of the existing Pidgeon House basement recommenced in mid-September and is now complete. This process will allow us to increase the height of the basement by four and a half feet (4’6”). The restored 1890s heritage building will act as an architectural transition between Cielo’s high-rise tower and the low-rise residential streetscape along Huron.
- The next phase of construction is scheduled for November and will include the installation of tiebacks against the caisson wall to be able to excavate to the footings level.
- Following the installation of first row of tiebacks, construction of a staging slab at the ground floor level, resting on temporary structural caissons is scheduled to start in early December 2023.
With a prime location in the Annex, Toronto’s celebrated Arts & Cultural hub, just steps to designer boutiques on Mink Mile, across from the world-class University of Toronto, and with the Bloor subway at the front door, Cielo will become one of the most coveted residential addresses in Toronto.
Now, the Collecdev Construction Team is at the helm, tasked with the responsibility of executing the “refined modernist” vision from award-winning KPMB Architects, a vision that seamlessly incorporates the revered Bloor Street United Church, into a sleek and stylish new residential tower. With every milestone, this vision comes one step closer to reality, breathing new life into one of the city’s significant landmark structures, enhancing one of its most beloved neighbourhoods.
Stay tuned for more construction updates!